Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Truck Bed Trouble

Truck Bed Trouble 6 years, 5 months ago #1

• AlphaDog
  • Junior Boarder
The guy that had my 78 Chevy pickup before me did some filling in on the bed of my truck. He used some type of tar like substance and I've tried my best to get it out of the inside of the bed and I can't. It's sticky and black. Any suggestions or am I going to have to get a new truck bed?

Re: Truck Bed Trouble 6 years, 5 months ago #2

I think it will depend on how much tar the guy put on it whether you'll be able to get it off or it would be better to buy a new bed. Some things you could try are WD-40, kerosene or tar remover from a place like Autozone.

Re: Truck Bed Trouble 6 years, 5 months ago #3

• AlphaDog
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks OTD! I have been debating whether it would be easier to just find another truck bed. This is going to be some job if I decide to clean it out. As a matter of fact, I don't know if all of it would come out or not. It's really thick and I have no earthly idea why he would have done this. The truck bed is good, it's not like it was falling apart.

Re: Truck Bed Trouble 6 years, 5 months ago #4

• Chaset
  • Junior Boarder
How long ago did you get the truck (to get an idea of how long the tar has been on there for). We tried this with an old truck that we got when we were first hitched and I think you could have taken a jackhammer to it and still no dents. Hopefully you have better luck than we did.

Re: Truck Bed Trouble 6 years, 5 months ago #5

• MrBig
  • Junior Boarder
I do not know if this is a possibility, but how about just placing a truck liner of some kind over it? There are a few new types out that might fit the bed and cover the stuff up.

Re: Truck Bed Trouble 6 years, 5 months ago #6

• AlphaDog
  • Junior Boarder
I've had it for about 10 years but I'm just now starting to get it restored. I don't think I would want a liner so I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and buy another bed.

Re: Truck Bed Trouble 6 years, 5 months ago #7

• Tree Frog
  • Junior Boarder
Sounds like that's about the only option left for you, AlphaDog. People do some pretty strange things to cars sometimes. I used to know a lady that kept her windshield control tied up with a string. If she hit a bump in the road, it would make the windshield wipers come on! LOL

Re: Truck Bed Trouble 6 years, 5 months ago #8

• hecktor
  • Junior Boarder
Sorry to hear it. Of course it sounds like you got a whole lot of use of it already so it has still been and will probably continue to be a sound investment.

Re: Truck Bed Trouble 6 years, 5 months ago #9

• wanda63
  • Junior Boarder
I am probably mean enough that I would track the guy down, explain the issue and sarcastically thank him for it. How much is a new bed going to cost you?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds