Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Upholstery Repairs

Upholstery Repairs 8 years, 1 month ago #1

• AlphaDog
  • Junior Boarder
Has anyone tried to do upholstery by themselves? I have a bench seat and my wife says she could probably take the seat apart and get a pattern from that to replace the upholstery. Have you tried and how did you do?

Re: Upholstery Repairs 8 years, 1 month ago #2

• zambini
  • Junior Boarder
Yeah, and what I learned was that it is a lot harder than it looks. I thought it would just be the cover but the project was much larger than I thought. We ended up having to replace all the padding too.

Re: Upholstery Repairs 8 years, 1 month ago #3

• MrBig
  • Junior Boarder
That is pretty common, a lot of people think they can just change the coverings. Once you get that off and take a look at the padding you then realize that it may need changes. The plus side is you can make it more comfortable than it was back then.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlphaDog

Re: Upholstery Repairs 8 years, 1 month ago #4

• AlphaDog
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks guys. I think we may tackle it because she sews quite well and has already upholstered one of our living room chairs. It's in bad shape and it desperately needs to be done.

Re: Upholstery Repairs 8 years, 1 month ago #5

• Chaset
  • Junior Boarder
I know when I am bet, I can barely sew and anything upholstered even if it needs a small repair is a much larger task that I care to fiddle with. I think our auto's would come out looking like a true nightmare if I attempted such a fix. Now, I can change a tire though so I am not completely useless.

Re: Upholstery Repairs 8 years, 1 month ago #6

• AlphaDog
  • Junior Boarder
^ LOL with Chaset! Yeah, I'm only going to be taking it out and putting it back in. She's the one with the important part. She does a lot of sewing but has only upholstered the one chair. She's confident she can do it though.

Re: Upholstery Repairs 8 years, 1 month ago #7

• Tree Frog
  • Junior Boarder
I wouldn't touch the upholstery with a ten foot pole! Good luck and I hope you don't have too much trouble with it. I have a go-to guy who does upholstery and repairs for me. He's very, very good at what he does.

Re: Upholstery Repairs 6 years, 11 months ago #8

• Noble
  • Fresh Boarder
If I just wanted to tack a basic covering over the seat, I'd do it myself. But when you are restoring your vehicle, you want it to look good. If you don't know how to do it right, take it in to have it done.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds