Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Catalytic Converter

Catalytic Converter 8 years, 4 months ago #1

• Tree Frog
  • Junior Boarder
I have an older car with a catalytic converter that is sounding pretty rough. Is it expensive to get these replaced? It's a '91 Toyota Camry and it has to be done soon or it's going to completely stop up on me.

Re: Catalytic Converter 8 years, 4 months ago #2

• AlphaDog
  • Junior Boarder
I had one replaced several years ago on an older car and it cost me about $250. I don't know if I got skinned or not. I would say that's just about right though.

Re: Catalytic Converter 8 years, 3 months ago #3

I had to have a catalytic converter replaced years ago. I forget how much it cost me, but it wasn't cheap. They are not inexpensive, so I'd say $250.00 is about right at today's prices.

Re: Catalytic Converter 8 years, 3 months ago #4

• JamesM
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah, that sounds about right. It's annoying, because I used to be able to just bypass the stupid things until they went and made it illegal. It sure was cheaper in those days.

Re: Catalytic Converter 8 years, 3 months ago #5

• AlphaDog
  • Junior Boarder
I've done that before too, James. Back when they first came out, it wasn't illegal to straight line them. But of course, now it is and we have to have the darned thing replaced. It's really inconvenient and expensive.

Re: Catalytic Converter 8 years, 3 months ago #6

• Tree Frog
  • Junior Boarder
Well, it looks like we're going to have to have it replaced. It hasn't stopped up completely but it's running really rough so I'm going to do it now before it tears something else up. That would be a problem.

Re: Catalytic Converter 8 years, 3 months ago #7

• hecktor
  • Junior Boarder
Can you do the work yourself? I always buy them new and then just do it with a friend of mine. You also might thinking of getting an out of work mechanic to do it for trade or cheaper. I have had a lot of success with that recently.

Re: Catalytic Converter 7 years, 2 months ago #8

I don't know - for me, the catalytic converter repair jobs have actually always been quite expensive. Sometimes you need to have the whole muffler replaced along with it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds