Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to find a reputable shop

How to find a reputable shop 8 years, 3 months ago #1

• GotWheels
  • Junior Boarder
How do you find a reputable shop that you trust? Are there any questions that you should ask?

Personally I always rely on personal recommendations. I can't remember the last time I showed up to a random shop.

Re: How to find a reputable shop 8 years, 3 months ago #2

• zambini
  • Junior Boarder
I am a lot like you. I will get educated and research online, but my decision is usually based of of worth of mouth. If someone tells me about a great place I will try it. If a person tells me about a terrible one I will stay away from it.

Re: How to find a reputable shop 8 years, 2 months ago #3

• Chaset
  • Junior Boarder
Growing up with a mother whose father owned his own garage for years, it was quickly noted that you gotta do your research to make sure the place is on the up and up. I will never pick the first place I see, heard too many horror stories.

Re: How to find a reputable shop 8 years, 2 months ago #4

I have a shop that I use. When we moved here, I asked just about everyone I met where the best shop is. Turned out that it's a guy who works lives out in the country and works out of his garage. I never would have found him if I hadn't asked around.

Re: How to find a reputable shop 8 years, 2 months ago #5

• GotWheels
  • Junior Boarder
Have you ever taken your classic car to a chain-style auto shop? I just don't seem to trust those guys with my cars. I feel like the smaller shops work harder to make a personal connection with you and that connection stops them from seeing your car as just a machine that they can mess around with.

Re: How to find a reputable shop 8 years, 2 months ago #6

• johnpaul
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah, too many times, the big-box shops are more interested in how much they can get and not interested enough in actually doing what *I* want done. I use word of mouth, too.

Re: How to find a reputable shop 8 years, 2 months ago #7

I've never taken a vehicle to a chain shop. You just don't get the service that you get from the shops that are owned by the individuals. I do a lot of work on my vehicles myself.

Re: How to find a reputable shop 8 years, 2 months ago #8

• GotWheels
  • Junior Boarder
Once I took a car in to a chain shop (a newer car, not a classic) and instead of doing simply what I asked of them, they decided to tack on extra work that I had to pay for. I didn't agree to any of it! That's also part of the reason why I'm wary of those big shops.

Re: How to find a reputable shop 8 years, 2 months ago #9

• Tree Frog
  • Junior Boarder
I've always used the same shop for years. It's one that our family has used for years for any car we've had. We have friends there and we trust them for the most part.

Re: How to find a reputable shop 7 years, 1 month ago #10

• Noble
  • Fresh Boarder
It is all about reputation. And I'll be honest - I have a few neighborhood mechanics that I will go to way before I take it into one of the bigger shops. They do a lot better job, especially on older models. Newer models are too mechanical and computerized.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds