Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Finding Vintage Paint Colors

Finding Vintage Paint Colors 7 years, 9 months ago #1

Does anyone know how to go about finding vintage paint COLORS? Say for example I have a '56 Chevy pickup truck, and I want to repaint it one of the colors that Chevy was originally painting those trucks when they were rolling off the line in 1956. Where or how could I find out what those colors were, and where could I find the paint formulas to recreate one of those colors?

Re: Finding Vintage Paint Colors 7 years, 9 months ago #2

• Fogey
  • Junior Boarder
You can try to e-mail Chevy and see if they can help you with that. If that doesn't work, consult a custom paint shop and see if they are able to help you.

Re: Finding Vintage Paint Colors 7 years, 9 months ago #3

You could also try calling local paint stores and auto body paint shops, because you might be lucky and discover that they have some vintage color formulas filed away somewhere. If you could find a paint chip in the vintage color you want that's not severely faded, you could also request to have it matched.

Re: Finding Vintage Paint Colors 7 years, 9 months ago #4

• Cool Daddy
  • Fresh Boarder
The paint chip is a good idea, jpm! You can always get a chip of paint from the car if you are planning on repainting it, anyway.

Re: Finding Vintage Paint Colors 7 years, 9 months ago #5

Scottsmustang - I believe I may have solved your problem! I Google'd "1956 Chevy paint colors" and a website came up called the Auto Color Library. On the main page, you select the make, which in your case is Chevrolet, and then you can select a year. For Chevy, it goes all the way back to 1927 and all the way up to 1978. So I chose 1956, and then on the next page, a digital image of the actual 1956 Chevy paint chips page shows up. For your '56 Chevy, you have 13 original colors to choose from, and you can even order the paint through that same website. - www.autocolorlibrary.com

Hope this helps, man!

Re: Finding Vintage Paint Colors 7 years, 2 months ago #6

Thank you for the tip of the auto color library, classic_car_2012! It can be really hard to match a color perfectly, especially on an antique. There are a lot of colors that they just don't use anymore!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds