Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Craigs List

Craigs List 7 years, 1 month ago #1

• Meow
  • Fresh Boarder
I keep hearing really messed up stories about Craig's List from my friends. I've been told that people are promised one thing and then completely ripped off. Has this ever happened to you?

Re: Craigs List 7 years, 1 month ago #2

This crags list scam has never happened to me. It was however, on the news last night here in CO. The scammers got caught and the people did get there car back. In fact they got caught because they had the vehicle which was reported stolen. The news said to do all your transactions at the bank together.

Re: Craigs List 7 years, 1 month ago #3

• Meow
  • Fresh Boarder
Okay, see, that makes me feel a bit better about it because at least something was done. I was just worried that nothing would be done and that maybe Craig's List wasn't liable or something crazy like that.

Re: Craigs List 6 years, 5 months ago #4

• Tree Frog
  • Junior Boarder
I don't trust anyone on any public forum when I'm dealing with selling or buying something. I verify and then verify a couple of more times when dealing with anyone from a site like that. I won't take checks, money orders or credit cards from anyone from that type of situation. It's either cash, checked with a authentication marker from the bank, or they walk without what they wanted to buy.

Re: Craigs List 6 years, 5 months ago #5

• hecktor
  • Junior Boarder
I have not been scammed on Craigslist either but I also saw a story on the news. Some guy was trying to buy rims and wheels for his car. He showed up, saw the rims and paid the guy. This is when he was beat up and left by the side of the road. The scammer kept the wheels and rims as well as the poor fellows money.

Re: Craigs List 6 years, 5 months ago #6

• wanda63
  • Junior Boarder
There are all types of scammers on the web its not just CL and honestly sometimes its very tricky to find out who is truthful and who is not. We did sell a car once on there but we knew selling it that it was legit. The buyer was awesome, he agreed to a sit down as we wanted to make sure our "baby" was going to a good home. But yes, there are bad people all over the net, sometimes you just need to be careful.

Re: Craigs List 6 years, 5 months ago #7

There are all types of scammers on the web its not just CL

That's a very good point! It doesn't matter what site you use, it's possible that you will run into a scammer. I think overall Craig's list is a very good site and most people who use it are honest. Of course, the media is only going to cover something negative, even if it doesn't happen often.

Re: Craigs List 6 years, 5 months ago #8

• wanda63
  • Junior Boarder
I think the best way to avoid it is to not buy into all of the sales hype and lingo, thoroughly check out the person you are dealing with and never meet them alone. Most I know that buy online tend to make purchases in a public area, not your personal home.

Re: Craigs List 6 years, 5 months ago #9

• AlphaDog
  • Junior Boarder
I always make sure if I'm going to check something out that's on CL, I take someone with me and we meet in public, never at my home. I sure don't want thieves to know where I live and what I have.

Re: Craigs List 6 years, 5 months ago #10

• Chaset
  • Junior Boarder
AlphaDog wrote:
I always make sure if I'm going to check something out that's on CL, I take someone with me and we meet in public, never at my home. I sure don't want thieves to know where I live and what I have.

That is the best bet if you want to play it safe but still remember, "as is" means exactly that. I am always surprising when I hear about people trying to sue someone for having "something broke". Do most people expect a 2nd hand vehicle to work like its brand new?

Re: Craigs List 6 years, 5 months ago #11

• wanda63
  • Junior Boarder
Second hand shops can be looked up via the BBB but when it comes to a single person, unless they have an extensive background of scamming, being sued, etc. I am not sure how you could cross check before the sale to make sure you are dealing with a legit person.

Re: Craigs List 6 years, 5 months ago #12

• hecktor
  • Junior Boarder
If I were going to sell a car on Craigslist, it would be "as is". In fact, why not have them meet you in the parking lot of the police station. If they didn't want to that would be a dead give away, wouldn't it?

Re: Craigs List 6 years, 5 months ago #13

• GotWheels
  • Junior Boarder
I was going to buy a car on Craigslist, as I had luck selling one there once. Every time I emailed to inquire about a car I got an obvious form email back saying that the owner lived in the UK and needed to send a check and I would need to send him some of the money back. Obviously it was a scam, as we've all seen the news. Now I'm wary about buying online but I would still sell things. You just have to be vigilant about looking into the situation and don't be afraid to turn people away.

Re: Craigs List 5 years, 10 months ago #14

• Fogey
  • Junior Boarder
When it comes to buying car parts on Craigslist, I really don't see how you can go wrong. You actually go to someone's house or place of business and view the part. You can see it and then decide if you want it or not.

Re: Craigs List 5 years, 10 months ago #15

• pimp_caddy
  • Fresh Boarder
Meow wrote:
I keep hearing really messed up stories about Craig's List from my friends. I've been told that people are promised one thing and then completely ripped off. Has this ever happened to you?

This hasn't ever happened to me, but I've heard about some of the scams on the news. I think you just have to exercise common sense when you're trying to buy something. If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

Re: Craigs List 5 years, 9 months ago #16

• Cool Daddy
  • Fresh Boarder
I haven't had any bad experiences with Craig's List. But I will say that I've never tried to purchase any vehicles or parts on it. I think I would still go and check out a part I found there, if I really thought I needed it.

Re: Craigs List 5 years, 9 months ago #17

Personally, I've never had any issues with Craigslist, but I've never made any "major" purchases through there, either. I've mostly stuck with buying used furniture and things of that nature, as opposed to electronics or vehicles. I've just heard about too many scams to ever feel comfortable making an expensive purchase through Craisglist, where you can't verify the seller through the BBB or even through other buyers.

Re: Craigs List 5 years, 8 months ago #18

• dmama
  • Fresh Boarder
People need to shop smarter when making any purchase online. When people are not doing this I have no pity for them, not everyone online is always trustworthy and not everyone is always honest. People need to take the same precautions (if not more) as they would when shopping offline.

Re: Craigs List 5 years, 8 months ago #19

• krennel
  • Fresh Boarder
I am sure its possible to fall for any scam online pending you are not checking out what you are buying. I have heard of guys getting boats before and not even wet testing them. If you are not doing all you can to validate the claims of the seller you are just helping them to scam you.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds