Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 4 top tips

4 top tips 6 years, 4 months ago #1

• kevintb
  • Fresh Boarder
I remember reading about this the other day when a fan site had asked others to chime in on the best tips to make sure others do not fall for online vehicle scams.

- its too good to be true (always)
- seller only allows for wire transfers (not sure how this works exactly)
- shipping is free or very, very cheap
- auto is never in the same state as you are

Would these be the best or are there other tips that help to flag a scammer?

Re: 4 top tips 6 years, 4 months ago #2

• kats
  • Fresh Boarder
The biggest one that I have always heard regardless of what you are buying is the too good to be true part. The others seem sensible to me but none I remember ever getting as advice from others.

Re: 4 top tips 6 years, 4 months ago #3

• Chaset
  • Junior Boarder
Some of those 2 good 2 be true are tricky. I caught something in the mail the other day that said I had actually won a brand new car (yea right). These scammers had the nerve to ask for my maiden name, SSN, DOB and tax number to verify who I was.

Re: 4 top tips 6 years, 4 months ago #4

• GotWheels
  • Junior Boarder
I see car scams on Craigslist a lot and that's what turned me off of buying a car there. It is common to see a car listed that appears too good to be true. Then you email them about it and they send you a form email about how they live in the UK (or somewhere else far away) and they need you to wire them money with the promise of meeting some relative to get the car. I've seen a couple versions but in every version the buyer ends up with no money and no car. I say don't ever buy a car you haven't seen yet.

Re: 4 top tips 5 years, 2 months ago #5

• CarsDude
  • Fresh Boarder
Those 4 tips are likely to be used by scammers. I, for example, would never buy a car before seeing and test driving it first.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds